Auburn, Ala. (EETV) - Auburn University Campus Safety reported another incident of sexual assault Tuesday afternoon after a female student divulged to police she was raped Friday night at a fraternity house. This is the third such incident of sexual assault that AU Campus Safety has reported through mass emails to students since the semester began mid-August.
Campus Safety reminds students that if you are a victim/survivor of sexual assault next steps are your choice. You are encouraged to:
- Preserve evidence. Do not shower or change your clothing.
- Dial 911 for emergency assistance or immediately go to the nearest hospital to get medical care and request a Sexual Assault Forensic Exam (“rape kit”).
- Rape kits can be collected at the following locations in Auburn:
- East Alabama Medical Center Freestanding Emergency Department, 900 Camp Auburn Road, Auburn, AL 36832 (24/7)
- AU Medical Clinic, 400 Lem Morrison Drive, Auburn, AL 36849 (8am to 2pm, Monday-Friday)
- Victims/survivors can have a rape kit collected without filing a police report.
- Consider reporting it. Notification options include:
- Dial 911 (emergencies) or 334-501-3100 to reach the Auburn Police Division. The police are the only entity that can investigate a sexual assault for the means of criminal prosecution. It is important for them to gather evidence as soon as possible.
- Dial 334-844-4794 to report the incident to the Auburn University Title IX Coordinator. The Title IX Office receives official complaints of violations of the university’s Title IX Sexual Harassment Policy.
- All survivors are encouraged to report the assault, but it is always the survivor’s choice whether or not to do so.