AUBURN, Ala. (EETV) - Auburn worked hard in three sets against Georgia Tech but came up short in the end, falling 5-2 Sunday afternoon.
“When you are climbing a mountain, you can’t always take the same path to the top,” Auburn head coach Caroline Lilley said. “You have to climb in inches, focusing on the very next step instead of the entirety of the journey ahead. Inch by inch, step by step. Climbing is just like a tennis match, point by point until the job is complete.
“We fought today. We certainly earned windows of opportunity in both doubles and singles. As we return to the practice court this week, we have to bring a climber’s mentality. Inch by inch, ball by ball, and minute by minute. We will be better because of competitive matches like today, and we are grateful for the opportunity to develop and hone our craft.”
After doubles, Georgia Tech led 1-0. For Auburn, Georgie Axon and Adeline Flach had a 6-3 win at the No.2 spot, but Ansari and Chen lost on court 3, 6-3, along with Ovunc and Russo with a 6-3 loss to Jones and Flores.
Georgia Tech was ahead 2-0 as Kenya Jones 13th-ranked player beat 62nd-ranked Selin Ovunc 7-5, 6-2. Auburn improved as they go on the board with Axon’s win over 123rd-ranked Gia Cohen, 6-3, 6-4. Still, Tech kept their lead to 3-1 as Flach fell, 6-4,6-4.
In the last three matches, Taylor Russo fought from a first-set loss (1-6,6-2,6-1) to pull Auburn within a point of Georgia Tech at 3-2. But Georgia Tech finished the match 5-2 to win.
Next Sunday, Auburn is on the road at Clemson. The match time is set for 11 a.m. CT in Clemson, S.C.
#6 Georgia Tech 5, Auburn 2
1. #13 Kenya Jones (GT) def. #62 Selin Ovunc (AU), 7-5, 6-2
2. #56 Victoria Flores (GT) def. Yu Chen (AU), 4-6, 6-4, 6-3
3. Ava Hrastar (GT) def. Carolyn Ansari (AU), 6-2, 3-6, 6-4
4. Georgie Axon (AU) def. #123 Gia Cohen (GT), 6-3, 6-4
5. #99 Taylor Russo (AU) def. Carol Lee (GT), 1-6, 6-2, 6-1
6. Mahak Jain (GT) def. Adeline Flach (AU), 6-4, 6-4
Order of finish: 1, 4, 6, 5, 3, 2
1. #5 Jones/Flores (GT) def. #11 Ovunc/Russo (AU), 6-3
2. Axon/Flach (AU) def. Cohen/Marsh (GT), 6-2
3. Hrastar/Dedaj (GT) def. Ansari/Chen (AU), 6-3
Order of finish: 2, 3, 1